The "American College or University Program" is designed for students who have graduated from high school. This program not only begins in the fall semester, but colleges and universities can admit applicants in the summer, winter, or spring semesters. Some colleges or universities even have rolling admissions.

A study program in an American University or College is designed for high school graduates. Generally, program begins in September. However, students can enroll in the university or college for a summer, winter or spring semester.

Most American universities and colleges require international students to take a special entry exam in English (TOEFL). Some universities may accept foreign students without taking this test. There are special programs for students who do not take a TOEFL exam. First, if the student did not take an exam, he/she will have to take an English placement test to be placed in an English course as a second language class based on the student's English level. The student can take major courses at the same time.

A student enrolled in an American college or university will get a student visa F-1.

Some colleges offer only 2-year programs (associate programs). Upon graduation, a student may transfer as a junior (3rd year in college) to any university of his/her choice. A student may choose a major during his/her first or second year at the college or university.

The cost of one academic year varies based on the college or university selected, lodging (host family or dormitory), and number of credit hours. The approximate cost of the program is $10,000-$12,000 or higher. The price includes lodging, food expenses, education, books and medical insurance. A financial co-signer is required. If an applicant does not have a co-signer, Educational World, Inc. will agree to be a co-signer. The applicant should sign an agreement with Educational World, Inc. and make a deposit payment. A payment plan is available.

Students will live with host families or in the dormitories. There is also an option to rent an apartment (usually the cost of rent is high).

There is a wide variety of major programs: business, marketing, management, finances, law, international relations, political science, medicine, computer science, programming, art, music, theater, etc.

Some universities offer international students on-campus jobs and a stipend.

Post Graduate

This program is designed for those who have graduated from a college or university. The applicants will receive a Doctor's degree. The main requirements include advanced English skills, good grades and recommendations.

This program is designed for those who have graduated from a university or who are senior students. Generally, the program begins in September. However, universities will admit students for summer, winter or spring semesters. Applicants will receive a Masters or PhD degree.

To participate in the program, students are required to have advanced English skills confirmed by the TOEFL exam, good grades and recommendations. Applicants need to write an essay describing their motives to continue education in their desired field and their goals for the future.

Students excepted to the program will obtain an F-1 or J-1 nonimmigrant visa.

There is a wide variety of major programs: business, marketing, management, finances, banking, law, international relations, political science, computer science, programming, art, music, theater and others.

Students need to pay school tuition or apply for a scholarship or stipend through the university to cover tuition and on-campus residence. If the student has good grades and advanced English skills, Educational World, Inc. will help to find a university that offers a stipend to students. The total cost of the application processing and program arrangement is $1500.

The cost of one academic year varies based on the university selected, lodging (dormitory or host family) and number of credit hours. The approximate cost is $10,000-$12,000 per year or higher. The price includes lodging, food expenses, tuition, books and medical insurance. A financial co-signer in the US is required. If an applicant does not have a co-signer, Educational World, Inc. will agree to sponsor the student. The applicant will sign an agreement with Educational World, Inc. and make a deposit payment. A payment plan is available.

Students will live with American host families or in dormitories. There is also an option to rent an apartment.

Most of the universities provide students with employment.

Distance-Learning at the American University

Distance-Learning at the American University or "Correspondence Study" is individual instruction by mail. Students can learn a new profession or earn a degree while working full time and carrying out family responsibilities in their home country.

The American Distance-Learning program offers an individual instruction by mail. Students may be admitted to the university throughout the academic year. The program provides for a flexible, suitable and individual instruction. Assignments will be completed throughout the correspondence with an experienced instructor. The teacher will develop individual text and practice materials for the distance-learning participant and will correct assignments. Students will receive detailed instructions for the course prepared by the faculty member responsible for the course.

Students will have an opportunity to receive a bachelor's degree while working and staying with the family in the home country. This is a major advantage of the program. Educational World, Inc. offers distance learning at prestigious universities that are members of the American Association of High Education certified by the Board of High Education. Diplomas from universities that offer distance-learning courses are greatly valued in the US and abroad and they are not different from the diplomas received through a regular full time program.

It is possible to transfer grades from other universities, colleges or technical schools abroad. The program is designed for high school graduates. To register for the program the applicant is required to fill out and submit the application-request. In addition, a registration fee, a copy of high school diploma and official transcripts with certified English translation must be enclosed. All the documents and translations must be notarized. Current university or college students are required to provide up-to-date university/college transcripts and a letter from the university/college. Some institutions require proof of English skills.

Students may receive their degree in many fields and may study the following majors: banking and finances, business, journalism, art, cinema, computer science, criminal law, literature, medicine (gerontology, medical technology, management in medicine, emergency, radiology, pharmacology and nurse’s aid), international relations, management and marketing, management, business and trade, education, restaurant management, tourism, economics and law. To obtain a degree students are required to take up to 40 courses (some of these courses are required for the particular major) and receive good grades. A portion of the total number of courses may be transferred from other universities, including universities or colleges abroad.

Each completed assignment will be graded by the instructor and returned to the student with comments. At the same time students will receive answers for their questions. Students may contact a course instructor by mail, e-mail, fax, or phone.

The cost of the program varies based on the student's educational background, chosen university and major. For example the approximate total cost of the program for students who already attend university or college may be up to $3000, which is 5-10 times less expensive than regular full time program tuition at the US University. A payment plan is available whereby students may pay monthly throughout the course of the program.

Masters and PhD programs are also available.

The program participants will study at some of America’s best universities and participate in the most professional educational programs such as: Ohio university, Iowa University, International School of Management, Academy of Tourism, American Insurance Institute, Institute of American Hotel Association, Banking School and California Institute of Health.

Here is something you need to know

Approximately half a million foreign students study at American colleges and universities every year. They are attracted not only by exceptional academic programs, outstanding modern equipment, and practice materials, but also by the diversity and flexibility of the American education system. Students also have a chance to live together with American students on campus, and to integrate into a new cultural environment.

Moreover, international students are fascinated by the freedom of choice at the American universities. In the United States there are more than 3,600 diverse institutions of higher education. Research universities, state universities or colleges, private colleges, religious educational institutions, and military academies offer everybody an equal chance to achieve.

University - How to Make the Right Choice

Pay attention to the following

College or university?

In general, in the USA the words "college" and "university" are used in the same context. Historically, college was a subdivision of the university. The educational institution that provides a two-year academic program is typically called a college. The reputation of the institution is not based on the title "college" or "university" of the institution. Many American colleges are listed as the best institutions of high education, and their diplomas are highly valued on the world labor market.


This is a very important criterion that one should consider prior to making a choice. If you are planning on studying at an American university or college, you should first do research on whether this institution is licensed or not. The license is a certification and approval of the quality of academic programs in the given university.

A license itself does not guarantee high standards of education. However, if a college or university is not licensed, the diploma of the institution is not valid. Diplomas and degrees obtained in a college that is not licensed, are not acceptable by American and foreign companies. Courses taken in the college or university that is not licensed will not be transferable to another institution. Moreover, a student is eligible to obtain a degree, and to receive financial aid, and/or a government grant only at licensed educational institutions.

How long are you planning to study? What kind of diploma do you want to receive?

Upon graduation from high school, students will have the option to continue their education in the USA. There is a wide range of universities, and you will always be able to find the right one for you.

An associate’s degree is the 1st degree. Students will receive an associate’s degree within two years if they study full time in a traditional two-year college or university. Upon graduation, a student has the option to continue studies in another college or university. The most popular associate’s degrees are associate of arts, associate of science (business), associate of computer science, associate of applied science, and others.

Upon completion of a four-year university program, students will receive a bachelor's degree.

There are hundreds of bachelor's majors: bachelor of science in business, bachelor of science in computer technology, bachelor of fine art, bachelor of criminal justice, etc.

Traditionally, a master's degree takes one or two more years of study after a bachelor's degree is received. The master's degree could be received in the same field as a bachelor's: master of fine arts, master of science, master of business administration (MBA), and others.

In general, a doctoral degree requires at least two years of study and research after a master’s degree is received. The most popular doctoral degree is a PhD - Doctor of Philosophy. This degree is granted in various fields, such as chemistry, physics, mathematics, business, computer science, and agriculture. The PhD degree may be pursued in almost any field.

English Proficiency

All American universities and colleges are interested in having international students. American students are usually required to take several exams such as the SAT. However, in many universities, international students are required to take the TOEFL test only - Test of English as a Foreign Language. This test is less complicated.

Under certain conditions, some universities will accept international students without having them take the TOEFL. Such universities offer international students a special ESL (English as a Second Language) program. Foreign students who participate in the ESL program will take English classes only for a year or two, until they become proficient in English. Upon finishing the ESL program, students may start taking major required courses. There are some colleges and universities that accept foreign students with any level of English.

How to choose your major

Most universities and colleges offer a wide range of academic programs. You may find a program you like in any university. In addition, there are specialized educational institutions, such as college of arts, music, design, medicine, pharmacology, military academies, etc. Each non-specialized licensed university has the following programs: biological science, business, management, arts, computer and physical science, education, health professions and social science.

Which universities are better?

There are special commissions that annually confirm the status of universities all over the world. Each year they come up with new lists and tables of the best universities. Generally, based on certain criteria, universities are divided into different categories.

American universities are also divided into different categories. Most reference books indicate ranks and categories of all the American universities in their annual editions. The term "competitive" is often used. All universities are divided into 6 groups. The best universities are included in the group of most competitive. The long time leader of this group is Harvard University of Massachusetts. Boston College (Massachusetts ), Cornell University (New York State), Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Princeton University (New Jersey ), Stanford University (California ), Yale University (Connecticut ) and others are also included in the group of most competitive.

Students who graduate from these universities are more likely to receive job offers from the best American companies even prior to their graduation.

The higher the rank of the university, the more difficult it is to get admitted there, even if the tuition fees in these universities are 2-3 times higher than regular.

Less prestigious universities are included in the noncompetitive group. Most of these universities are different from the competitive universities by the more comprehensive level of academic programs. However, thousands of students attend less prestigious universities. Their campuses are modern and comfortable, with nice libraries and well equipped research centers.

There are several groups of universities between most competitive and noncompetitive: highly competitive, very competitive, competitive, and less competitive. Each university is ranked accordingly by the committee members and observers.

The Cost

The tuition fee for international students is different than for Americans. Foreign students have to pay 2-3 times more. Moreover, American students are eligible to receive bank loans and government grants or stipends, as an award.

Some universities offer international students in good academic standing a stipend or financial aid. The amount of this aid varies from $100 to a couple of thousand. In most cases, the university offers international students on-campus jobs in the department, office, library, or cafeteria, babysitting, etc. These jobs do not require professional skills, and the minimum wage is paid to the students. Students may earn up to $300-500 per month from this kind of job.

According to the immigration regulations F-1 visa holders (international students) are eligible for on-campus jobs only. During the summer break, students may ask the university for permission to work off-campus. The extra earnings could be applied towards tuition. In most cases, there are a lot of advertisements posted on-campus that offer students seasonal summer jobs.

Private funds also offer international students scholarships or grants to study in the American university. However, it is a time-consuming process. Decisions are made on a case-to-case basis.

When choosing a college first consider what you are looking for. The American Educational Consulting and Placement Agencies will assist you in making the right choice. These agencies have extensive databases and work together with many universities. Their suggestions and advice will help you to be confident and make your decision. Sometimes, with the help of the agency, the university tuition may cost less. The Education World, Inc. is one of the Educational Consulting and Placement Agencies. Our programs are specialized for the Eastern European and former Soviet Union countries. We take into consideration the specifics of the European educational system.

How to apply to the university

American students start this process one year in advance. In most cases they make a list of several universities, corresponding with the faculty, and sometimes visiting the campuses. Afterwards, prospective students forward an application package to each university on the list.

Most likely, they will not get accepted to each of these universities. However, at least 2-3 universities will send them an acceptance and financial aid letters (amount of stipend, grants, loans, payment plan). A prospective student will have an opportunity to select a university that offers more favorable terms.

The placement procedure is identical for the international students. When the university is selected, you should put together the necessary admission documents. A certified English translation must be attached to all documents.

Application - form that provides the biographic and general information about an applicant. Each university has different admission applications. Please, pay attention to the deadline, which is the due date of acceptance of the application. The most prestigious universities have their deadlines in December or January. Many universities have deadline in May or June. Please forward the rest of the documents to the university admissions office as soon as you receive a notice that your application is accepted and registered.

A copy of the high school diploma must be officially certified and accompanied by the certified and notarized English translation. If you already have obtained a university or college degree in your home country and want to continue your education in the American university, it is necessary for you to provide a credentials evaluation of the diploma. The diploma must be evaluated by the certifying agency.

If you had taken a TOEFL test, please attach a copy of the results.

An Essay is a very important part of the application package. The placement committee regards the essay as a window to the students inside world. In the essay, students should write about their personal qualities and career goals. Each university strives to select the best candidates. Moreover, the essay is an indicator of your English level. Take it seriously.

The application fee is a registration fee that must be submitted together with your application package. Universities do not accept payment by cash. A check issued by an American bank is preferable. Look for a branch of one of the American banks in your hometown and have your application fee check issued there.

Financial Support. You have to provide the university with proof that you are able to support yourself financially during your first academic year (tuition fee, room and board, medical insurance, books). The university will notify you of the required amount. It will be approximately $12,000-$13,000 or more. You will have to have enough funds in your or your sponsor's banking account to cover theses expenses. It is preferable if you have a checking or savings account with an American bank. Universities do not usually trust foreign banks. The university will mail you a special form to complete and a request to provide them with a bank statement.

Please contact the university staff to confirm if additional information or documentation is needed, and after that just wait for the decision. It is most likely that you will receive an acceptance letter from one or several universities. Upon your agreement, the selected university will forward you a packet of documents from I-120. This form is a basis for applying for an F-1 student visa through the American consulate in your home country.

If you met some difficulties in this process, you can ask our professional American consulting agency, Education World, Inc., for assistance. We will help you to choose the university, based on your preferences and resources. We can also correspond with the selected university, make an agreement, help you to complete the financial forms, follow up with your applications and instruct you for the interview at the American consulate. This work will be completed by professionals and will help you in obtaining an F-1 student visa at the American consulate.

Hurray! You are now a student at an American university!

A Russian immigrant writer, Nina Berberova, defined American students as the happiest people on the planet. The luxury of the libraries, classrooms, labs, and auditoriums; access to everything, comfort, and peace - all this is now for you.

The freedom and spirit of independence are major qualities of the American university. The direct contact with faculty members and friendly relations between faculty and students are essential. Ask for tutoring classes if you have problems with understanding course material. The tutor will work with you without extra charge.

Please consult with the university career center one year prior to graduation. This center helps graduates to find their first jobs. Consultants will help you to find a company that will offer you a job and temporary worker visa.

Now friends, enjoy America!